Divorce, All Family Matters, Changed Names  and  Surnames

When a woman or man, or both, decide that divorce is the best solution, they need to realize from the fact that this stage in their lives will be one of the most difficult and stressful they have ever experienced, not only for their husband and wife, but also for their children. There are many things that need to be sorted out at this stage: childcare, paternity, visits, alimony, family financial obligations, and dividing the family’s tangible assets, including real estate, establishing health care for family members, and much more.

It is best if the divorcing spouses can agree on all issues, then we can talk about “uncontested divorce”, which is very often achieved faster, cheaper and with less emotional cost. However, sometimes, even in the case of conciliatory divorce, the lawyer may not represent both spouses, but only one party, otherwise we may speak of a conflict of interest, so it is best if each spouse has an attorney. If the parties want a conciliatory divorce, all matters and matters should be settled and written down by lawyers.

Legal matters related to the family, such as: visitation, alimony, restriction of parental rights, abandonment or neglect of child custody, all cases relating to children or family are dealt with in the Family Court.

Sometimes the same people have several cases in one court at the same time. Each case is assigned a different judge. In such cases, it is extremely important that the cases are dealt with by an experienced lawyer who is well versed in family law and deals with all issues simultaneously. Our office has such specialists.

Change of surname is often a consequence of paternity, divorce, adoption. For children, documents often need to be sent to the Department of Health to make these changes. To legally change an adult name, a petition usually needs to be filed in court, and often an advertisement is required in a specific newspaper, which is a legal process to change a name. These procedures can be intimidating and complicated, but the lawyers in our office can help you through this difficult situation in life.

Workers’ Compensation, Social Security Disability, Unemployment Insurance Benefits

If you have had an accident at work in the past, you may be entitled to Workers’ Compensation Benefits. If you suffer from permanent injuries and incapacity for work, you may be entitled to Social Security Disability Benefits.

Often, however, your entitlement to Workers’ Compensation may have expired for various reasons and now you may only be entitled  to Social Security Disability, for example, your application for Unemployment Insurance Benefits was rejected for some reason and you must appeal to receive these benefits. But you may also be in a situation where you have made an application for Unemployment Insurance Benefits that has been rejected. You were told to apply for Workers’ Compensation, which was also rejected, so you applied for Social Security Disability. This time you also received a negative decision and now you don’t know what to do next.

If you call our office, you will have the opportunity to meet qualified lawyers who will deal with your problems and your situation. Consultation on Workers’ Compensation, Social Security Disability & Unemployment Insurance Benefits is free.

Wills, Trusts and Estate

Surely you have often wondered what will happen to your family after your death. What will happen to your property, who will raise your children, or who will make sure that your will is done, when you cannot decide for yourself. You should consider making a will, creating a trust, empowering another person to make health decisions for you, and also a power of attorney to your lawyer.

What if a loved one left a will? This will require checking and admission to Surrogate’s Court. In the event that the person fails to write a will, our lawyers will help you determine the property and divide it correctly.

Criminal cases

In New York charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Under the US Constitution and New York law, detainees primarily have the right to remain silent until they hire an attorney. In many cases, the actions and words spoken beforehand affect the course of the case. That is why it is so important to have specialist help from the beginning.

In cases of detention on suspicion of a crime, our office offers expert help, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Landlord-tenant matters

Almost everyone who is or has been involved in a dispute between landlord-tenant is aware of the complexities and ambiguities of procedures that both parties may have to deal with in the event of a conflict.

From the landlord’s point of view, it is unclear, for example, why the law in some cases allows the residence and occupation of a person who does not own the property and pays no taxes.

On the other hand, from a tenant’s point of view, it is difficult to accept that often the landlord does not feel obligated to repair the building, or that the law allows him to evict the tenant who treats the place as his own home for no apparent reason. This is sometimes the case for premises rented for business purposes, where tenants often invest their own funds, yet the landlord decides to terminate the contract, preventing the tenant from continuing their business.

NY tenancy law may issue very complicated for people who are not familiar with it, it all depends on many detailed factors, for example, whether it is a residential or business premises, whether it is “rent controlled” or “rent stabilized”, whether there is an apartment contract signed with the owner, whether there are apartments in the building that have been illegally rented there, etc. You need an experienced lawyer who is well-versed in these legal complexities. Our office has such specialists and can help you with these problems.

Accident cases

If someone has had an accident, be it a car accident, a fall or something has fallen on someone – sometimes New York City is partly to blame for the accident. In this case, the victim has only 90 days to report the accident and start a case against the city. Often the victim is not even aware of the fact that the city may be jointly responsible for the accident. That is why you should consult an experienced lawyer who will professionally prepare the documents. Such a claim for compensation from New York City must meet certain requirements (must be in writing, must contain pertinent information that is provided in a specific manner, etc). Our office will help the victims to submit an appropriate application if there are legal grounds for it. Accident consultations in our office are always free.

Leave a Comment